People have been using aromatherapy for centuries to speed up the healing process, boost energy levels, reduce stress and cure common daily ailments. Essential oil diffusers are a great way to reap the benefits of essential oil aromatherapy. Depending on the oil you use, you can ease headaches, enhance the quality of your stress or lift your mood.
Essential oils have been used for nearly 6,000 years. They are defined as a "product obtained from vegetable raw material, either by distillation with water or steam, or from the rind of citrus fruits by a mechanical process, or by dry distillation."
Some essential oils have antiviral, antifungal, nematicidal, insecticidal, and antioxidant qualities, and they smell wonderful. They are much more aromatic than the artificial scents used in air fresheners and candles.
When you breathe in the fine mist of water and oil, the mist acts as a respiratory disinfection, decongestant, and has good psychological effects too. You also stimulate the olfactory system, the brain region related to smell.
As the molecules get to the brain, it affects emotions, the heart rate, blood pressure, breathing, memory, stress, and hormone balance.
How We Reviewed
The following products were reviewed based on several criteria including pros and cons, features, price and warranty. Durability and appearance also played a supporting role in rating these products.
Overall Price Range
The price range of these products is from about $10 to $100.
Top 10 Essential Oil Diffusers
URPOWER 500ml Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser
- 3 in 1 FUNCTIONS: Aromatherapy Diffuser, Humidifier, Night Light. PLEASE clean it at least once a week.
- ADVANCED Ultrasonic Diffusing technology which produces vibrations at a frequency of 2.4 millions times per second...
- Large 500ml water capacity that can continue use up to 10 hours each time. When time is up or there is no water, it will...
This 3-in-1 stylish diffuser is an aromatherapy diffuser, humidifier, and night light. Ultrasonic diffusing technology produces vibrations at 2.4 million times per second. This action breaks the water and essential oil mixture into a fine mist. It has a large 500ml water reservoir that lasts up to 10 hours. The diffuser automatically turns off when empty. It also has a mist button for a burst of scent and timer, and it can double as a regular humidifier.
Airomé Ultrasonic Essential Oil Diffuse
- DESIGN: A modern feel with gentle waves covering the white matte ceramic sleeve.
- LIGHTS: Choose between 8 LED Light colors for a single color glow, or allow light to effortlessly rotate between all...
- MIST SETTINGS: Features 2 mist settings. Intermittent, which lasts for 8 hours, and Continual, which lasts for 4 hours....
This elegant ceramic diffuser comes in several colors and designs that sit on a brown base. It has two mist modes (continuous for three hours or intermittent for six hours) and auto shut-off when dry. Seven LED lights let you choose a color matches your room or mood. You can cycle through the colors too. This diffuser has a 100mL water reservoir.
InnoGear 2nd Version Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser
- Compact Size for Space-saving: Without occupying much space, you can easily place this palm sized diffuser on your desk,...
- 2 Misting Modes: You can set it to intermittent mist (6-8 hrs working time) that diffuser mists and pauses every 30s, it...
- PP Material and Cool Mist: Using PP material, this diffuser disperses a comfortable stream of room-temperature mist,...
This ultrasonic diffuser is a natural air purifier and humidifier. Humidifying the air can eliminate dust and allergens. Choose from 7 different colors LED night light, set the perfect mood for your room. Whisper quiet and it has an auto shut off when the diffuser is empty. No heat. Safe for pets and kids. It has a 100 ml reservoir and can operate for 9-11 hours.
VicTsing 150ml Mini Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser
No products found.
The VicTsing is a small, palm-Sized, but it has big power. It has a 150ml reservoir and three timers. It also has an auto-off, 14 color lights with seven colors. Made with a stylish wood grain finish, this neutral diffuser matches any décor at your office or home. There are three timer options are one hour, three hours and continuous. It holds 150ml or 5 ounces of water and that lasts between 4 and 6 hours.
No products found.
TaoTronics Essential Oil Diffuser
No products found.
Soothing LED mood light has seven colors, cyan, aqua, yellow, blue, purple, red and green. This one, as with most of the ones on our list, is 100 percent baby safe with an auto shut-off when water level is low. The diffuser has a 300ml capacity for 8 hours of continuous use. It also has a one hour, three hour, six hour timer, and continuous mist mode. Mists can be light or strong
No products found.
ASAKUKI 500ml Premium, Essential Oil Diffuser
- 5-IN-1 AROMATHERAPY DEVICE: This ultrasonic essential oil diffuser is an amazing multifunction aromatherapy device...
- GREATLY IMPROVES AIR QUALITY: Besides its uses in aromatherapy, this essential oil diffuser also functions as a...
- PREMIUM QUALITY MATERIALS: When it comes to our premium essential oil diffusers, we make a point of using nothing but...
This is a 5-in-1 aromatherapy device with a large and easy-to-clean 500ml water tank, seven LED light colors, multiple mist nebulizer modes, and an auto-off switch. This excellent diffuser comes with a one-year warranty and a 6-month money-back guarantee.
SpaRoom Aromafier Portable Fragrance Essential Oil Diffuser
- PORTABLE. Small, palm sized, essential oil diffuser with LED soft blue lighting. Use for aromatherapy on the go.
- PERSONALIZED AROMATHERAPY. Promote a healthy fragrant environment in your personal area.
- INCLUDES ABSORBING FRAGRANT PADS. A plug-in oil diffuser includes three(3) replaceable micro-absorbing fragrance pads.
This portable diffuser fits in the palm of your hand. The unit includes three microfiber absorbing pads, which may be replaced after extended use or when changing out the fragrance. A silent fan projects the scent using your choice of pure essential oil. It runs using a USB cord or a universal wall adapter. It also uses 2 AA batteries, so it is portable. Use in your car, on your desk, on a plane, in hotels, or beside your bed.
ArtNaturals Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser
- ESSENTIAL OILS: Add Essential Oils to create an aromatherapy spa in your home. Use any of our selection of 100% pure oil...
- HEALTHIER FOR FAMILIES: Unlike candles and incense there is no smoke that can irritate sinuses. Using a cool mist...
- NATURAL AIR FRESHENER with AROMATHERAPY BENEFITS : Replace toxic air fresheners and plug ins with an all natural aroma...
It has a stylish wood grain finish that blends with any environment — home or office. The device is BPA free and eco-friendly. Choose among seven colors that can cycle through, or set it to one color. Perfect for a room that needs a nightlight. This aromatherapy diffuser also has three timer settings, one hour, three hours, and continuous. It has a 12-month warranty and money-back guarantee.
Ellia Gather Ultrasonic Aroma Diffuser
- PERSONALIZED AROMATHERAPY: Using any essential oil of your choice, mix and match fragrances to create your own...
- ULTRASONIC OPERATION: The 200ml reservoir provides a light pleasant aroma while gently humidifying your space. Whisper...
- SOOTHING SOUNDS: Drift away to the additional sound therapy feature with uplifting and relaxing options. Improve your...
Delivers a fine mist of your favorite essential oil and adds a soothing humidity to your space helps to add moisture to dry air. Crafted from wood and ceramic, the Ellia Gather Ultrasonic Aroma Diffuser is stylish and unobtrusive.
Offers a selection of relaxation sounds and lights to create a complete sensory experience. This diffuser has a 200ml reservoir that delivers 10 hours of a continuous run time and 20 hours of intermittent mist. Comes with a three pack essential oil starter kit with orange, Fight It and Pay Attention scents. The diffuser also has a remote control.
QUOOZ Lull Ultrasonic Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser
- MELT AWAY STRESS, RELAX, and REJUVENATE with the most advanced and effective method of diffusing tap water with a few...
- ULTRA HIGH CAPACITY- 200 ml- makes for longer diffusing time -Operates up to 8-10 hours
- AUTO SHUT- OFF when water runs low- adds to safety, energy efficiency, and peace of mind- especially for use at night
"Lull" by Quooz uses ultrasonic aromatherapy technology to emit a cool mist that can relieve a dry cough, sinus, and cold and flu symptoms. The light can also be set to "breathing mode" fading in and out gradually to simulate human deep breath.
This feature relaxes the nervous system. The unit switches off automatically when the water runs low and it can operate up to 10 hours. The unit is easy to clean and can be used with or without essential oils.
What Is an Essential Oil Diffuser?
The most commonly used kind and the one we reviewed here is an ultrasonic diffuser. These devices use ultrasonic waves and water to diffuse oils into the air. It has a water reservoir you fill with tap water.
Then you add 5-10 drops of one essential oil or a blend of a few to the water. Put the lid on the device, turn on and enjoy. Be careful not to overfill the diffuser.
The diffusers are usually made from plastic, most of them BPA-free. They plug into an electrical outlet or run on batteries. There are hundreds if not thousands of designs to choose from. The one you choose depends on how and where you plan to use it.
Some diffusers have a light feature which can double as a night light in a child's room or nursery. The reservoir size is also a consideration. Do you want to run the diffuser overnight? Or, do you want to take it with you when you travel?
What Does an Essential Oil Diffuser Do?
Diffusers break the oils down into micro molecules and disperse them into the air. When you inhale, you breathe in the essential oils and they get into your bloodstream.
What Are the Benefits?
At the most basic level, a diffuser distributes the essential oil’s scent throughout a room. Among their many benefits, essential oils can raise or lower energy levels, bring on sinus and allergy relief and give you a safer alternative to burning candles and incense.
The diffuser can also replace artificial air fresheners that have additives and chemicals. But many aromatherapy fans say having a diffuser is the only way to go.
Where Can You Buy an Essential Oil Diffuser?
They are available at any store that sells home goods, some drug stores and online.
While all these diffusers are a solid choice, offering value and style, we couldn't ignore the great reviews and popularity of our winner. Affordable, durable and well received, we chose a top-seller in its category, the InnoGear 2nd Version Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser boasts a whisper-quiet sound and fills your space with fragrance while moistening the air. The system shuts off automatically when the water runs out, and it’s portable.
Kids are often mesmerized by its seven changing mood lights (green, dark blue, red, yellow, pink, light blue, and white) and it works for three hours in continuous mode or six hours intermittently. Customers who have purchased this product have given it good reviews, but some say the light is too bright.
One said they were fighting a bad cold and the diffuser finally helped them get some much-needed rest. You really can’t beat the price at about $16, it’s a great value.
We hope this article has been a good guide for helping you decide which essential oil diffusers are the best ones on the market, but ultimately, knowing which product is the best for your needs is a personal choice based on your individual needs and tastes.
That's why it's important to take a little time to research and compare your top contenders, and this list is a great place to start!
Featured Image via Pixabay
Last update on 2021-01-01 at 03:02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API