If you’re new to herbal medicine, you’re probably looking for a vendor you can trust. The name Mountain Rose Herbs comes up a lot when looking for a supplier of safe, natural herbs. The company has been around a long time, so it’s easy to believe that they know what they’re doing and provide quality products.
You’ll find so many warnings about the use of commercially prepared herbal medicines that you may feel nervous about using them. After all, cases of contamination and poorly processed herbal products are not unknown. In fact, in some cases, the supplier used the wrong part of the plant. In others, the percentage of active ingredients was so small that the products were ineffective. So, the warnings not just allopathic practitioners trying to weed out the competition by spreading rumors. Herbal medicine has been used for thousands of years and deserves to be taken seriously. Especially by practitioners and providers. That's just one reason it's important to find a supplier you can trust.
Mountain Rose Herbs has carefully cultivated a reputation for high-quality, organic plant medicines. Let’s see if they live up to the hype by examining their record.
Mountain Rose Herbs: Pros & Cons
Mountain Rose Herbs
History of Mountain Rose Herbs
Founded in 1987, Mountain Rose Herbs has become one of the largest growers and sellers of herbal products in the United States. First launched as a mail order operation, Mountain Rose Herbs focused on supplying students for the California School of Herbal Studies. Based in Eugene, Oregon, the company has a reputation for organic and sustainable farming as well as their wildcraft products. In 2016, the company opened its first retail shop in Eugene, called Mountain Rose Herbs Mercantile.
Popular Products from Mountain Rose Herbs
Mountain Rose Herbs mainly focuses on organic and sustainable ingredients. Because of this policy, you may not always find the cheapest products. However, you will see some of the best.
Mountain Rose Herbs carries a wide variety of products, most of them aimed at the DIY practitioner of herbal medicine or homemade bath and body products. You’ll find a wide selection of bulk herbs and materials for both medicinal and cosmetic herbal practice.
Bulk herbs and spices
Technically, herbs come from the soft, green parts of plants, including the flowers. Spices usually come from seeds, roots, and barks. The main difference is how you’ll need to process them. You can prepare most herbs for consumption by infusing them in hot water, like a tea. Harder materials, like spices, need to be boiled into a decoction to extract the effective ingredients.
TNS Specialty Ingredients carries herbs and spices for medical, cosmetic, culinary, housekeeping, and even religious use. Bulk spices and herb prices can vary at Mountain Rose Herbs because the harvest varies. Wildcrafted ingredients, in particular, can become expensive due to climate conditions. Since they harvest wildcrafted products from their natural habitats, their availability and price often vary. To help compensate, Mountain Rose Herbs offers a bulk discount on these products.
- 10 percent discount for 5 to 9 pounds
- 15 percent discount for 10 to 24 pounds
- 25 percent discount for 25 pounds and up
- IN THIS BLEND - Basil, Parsley, Lavender Flowers, Marjoram, Rosemary, Sage, Savory, and Thyme.
- A FRESH TAKE ON A CLASSIC - We've revived this French summer herbs seasoning into a fresh, herbaceous, and fragrant...
- HIGH QUALITY & SIMPLE INGREDIENTS - Gluten free, Non GMO, KETO & Paleo friendly, No artificial flavors.
- Epic blend of onion, parsley, black pepper, coriander and roasted garlic
- Prep tip: Shake or rub just 2 tsp per 1 pound of chicken, pork, fish or vegetables
- Easy to shake or sprinkle bottle
- INDIVIDUALLY PACKED: 20 Half Ounce herbs in resealable Ziplocs.
- POPULAR SEASONINGS AND SPICES: In this pack are 20 commonly used herbs and spices. This is the perfect dried herbs...
- HIGH-QUALITY FRESH DRIED HERBS: Just like having your own indoor herb garden without the trouble of growing them.
Do note that many tender herbs don’t store well for more than a year, so even discounted, you should make sure you only buy what you can reasonably use or safely freeze.
Feel Good Organics offers a variety of blended black, herbal, and flower teas, along with tea accessories. They boast organic quality and have an extended menu from which to choose.
- ☕ DIY TEA FLAVORING KIT: Now you can mix & match to create your own loose leaf tea
- ☕ INCLUDES: 6 tins of loose leaf tea, 5 tins of herbal flavoring, & 1 empty mixing tin
- ☕ 5 HERBAL FLAVORINGS: Includes lemongrass, ginger, rose petals, lavender & hibiscus
- ORGANIC HERBAL TEA SAMPLER with five varieties of the world's finest herbal tea blends - Chamomile Citron, Citrus Mint,...
- NATURALLY CAFFEINE FREE TEA with calming herbs, flowers and fruits blended for a luxurious herbal tea experience
- DELIGHTFUL TEA GIFT SET with a premium collection of gourmet teas, a most welcomed hostess gift or gift for tea lovers
- 【Crystal Diamond Decoration】The column is inlaid with a circle of diamond-like crystal decorations. (you can check...
- 【Sharp grinding】 The grinder include 16 + 18 double-wedge sharp metal grinding teeth, ensure the grinding quality,...
- 【YOU WONT SPILL YOUR HERBS ! 】Our Grinder has a very strong MAGNETIC LID. It's strong enough to hold tight even if...
In contrast with fragrance oils, essential oils are pure distillations of plant oils derived from stems, seeds, flowers, leaves, and roots. Because they are undiluted, they’re pure oils and naturally a bit more expensive than mere perfume oils. Mountain Rose Herbs carries a vast array of organic essential oils from plants, fruits, and tree bark.
- This gift set includes six 10mL bottles of aromatherapy essential oils: lemongrass, peppermint, orange, lavender,...
- Set features lemongrass for calmness & clarity, peppermint for concentration & clear thinking, orange for optimism &...
- Essential oils are used for aromatherapy, Ayurveda, steam inhalations, skin care, massage, natural perfumery, baths,...
- 100% Pure Therapeutic Essential Oils. No fillers, NO Additives, or Carriers Added. A Handpicked selection from different...
- A must have for any Room, Home & Kitchen, Also highly recommended for professional environments such as. Doctor’s...
- Set of 6 Therapeutic Oils include some of the Most Popular and in demand Essential Oils. This incredible Gift Set...
- Included In This Gift Set: Peppermint, Lavender, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Lemongrass, Rosemary, Frankincense and Orange.
- USDA Certified Organic - the strict oversight of USDA ensures the integrity of our Aromatherapy Essential Oils. In other...
- 100% Pure, Only One Ingredient - Our Premium Essential Oils are 100% Pure & Natural – No Additives, Alcohol-Free, No...
They also offer pre-packaged kits comprised of a variety of essential oils commonly used for specific purposes. For example, their Aphrodite kit provides eight vials of essential oils frequently used for cosmetics and perfumes. Their Chakra essential oil kit includes eight vials of blends manufactured for spiritual and meditative practice. Their Classic kit offers eight common essential oils used in general aromatherapy practice.
Mountain Rose Herbs also offers water-based extracts of many flowers and herbs for use in perfumes and household products such as linen sprays or homemade cleaners. They’re also safe to use to add fragrance to cosmetic preparations.
Aroma sprays and perfumes
Utilizing diluted essential oils, extracts, and carriers, Mountain Rose Herbs manufactures several blends of perfumes and toilet waters. Their aroma sprays combine essential oils aimed to evoke specific moods and mental states.
Mountain Rose Herbs carries single-herb capsules for a variety of health needs. Their range of single herb capsules isn’t the most expansive, but the company focuses on quality rather than quantity. They do carry the most herbs commonly used for a variety of health issues, including those for reproductive health, cardiovascular health, and digestive disorders.
- The Modern Herbal Dispensatory A Medicine Making Guide
- Easley, Thomas (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine 3rd Edition
- Hardcover Book
- Chevallier, Andrew (Author)
- MEDICINAL HERBS BEGINNER'S
- Gladstar, Rosemary (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
Along with all the herbs and essential oils you’ll need to begin treating yourself with traditional herbal medicines, you’ll find a variety of clays, waxes, and carrier oils to create your own body and bath products. If your interest in applying herbology is for mainly cosmetic use, you’ll find a wide variety of bulk ingredients for making your own creams, soaps, and bath products.
Comparable Companies to Mountain Rose Herbs
Mountain Rose Herbs is certainly not the only organic herb retailer in the market. The interest in natural medicines has grown as fast as the desire for handcrafted body care products. This has resulted in a plethora of similar companies flourishing and building their own reputations. We'll look at a couple of Mountain Rose Herbs competitors and see how they stack up.
Monterey Bay Spice Company
Focusing more on teas and extracts for internal use, Monterey Bay doesn’t sell cosmetic products or essential oils. Their range of bulk herbs and spices is nothing less than impressive, however. They also sell non-organic products, which naturally expands their inventory.
We compared three commonly used medicinal herbs from both companies: black cohosh (for menopause symptoms), passionflower (for insomnia), and cascara sagrada (for constipation). In all three cases, Mountain Rose Herbs provided organic certification and a lower price for small amounts. However, for orders of a pound of each, Monterey Bay offered a much better price for buying in large quantities.
Both sites offered supplemental information on each herb, with Mountain Rose Herbs focusing on medicinal use, and Monterey Bay focusing on botanical and cultivation information.
Star West Botanicals
Much like Mountain Rose Herbs, Star West boasts of its inventory of organic bulk herbs. They also offer essential oils, bulk teas, herbal capsules, and plant extracts. They also offer body care products, including DIY ingredients and prepared fragrance and massage oils. If anything, Star West offers a more extensive selection of components for homemade lotions, soaps, and bath soaks, with a broader variety of products. Although their site looks somewhat outdated, they certainly carry everything one could need.
We examined the same three medicinal herbs from Star West to compare with Mountain Rose and found that prices for Star West were much higher than Mountain Rose Herbs. Star West also has a higher minimum purchase for any given herb, with 4 ounces being the smallest amount one could purchase. In contrast, Mountain Rose Herbs offered all the herbs we considered in 1-ounce packages.
Living Earth Herbs
Also based in Washington State, Living Earth Herbs offers many similar products as Mountain Rose Herbs does. You’ll find a wide selection of bulk herbs for both medicinal and cosmetic use. You’ll also find essential oils, teas, flower essences, and DIY supplies for home herb craft and bath and body products. One point of difference is that Living Earth offers a custom compounding service for their products. Another difference is that although the company prefers organic products, they also deal in non-organic herbs. They’re a retailer and distributor, rather than a grower.
When considering the three common herbs we used previously, we found Mountain Rose Herbs to have a much lower price for the organically certified products than Living Earth had without the guarantee. In fact, some products cost twice as much on Living Earth Herbs’ site. And again, the competitor had a higher minimum, with 2 ounces usually being the smallest amount one could buy.
Mountain Rose Herbs Certifications
Along with their excellent reputation, Mountain Rose Herbs has accumulated an array of awards and certifications. Included are several awards for their sustainability and conservation efforts from their community, county, state leaders. Industry awards include Wholesaler of the Year from the Oregon Organic Coalition and the Industry Leader Award from the American Herbal Products Association.
Mountain Rose Herbs is a certified organic processor and non-GMO verified. They’re compliant with the Fair For Life fair trade program, and their ginseng is Certified Forest Grown American. Mountain Rose Herbs certainly has its ducks in the right rows when it comes to sustainable, ethical, and value-added business practices.
Bonuses from Mountain Rose Herbs
Every successful company has found that success in providing their customers with something extra. Although we compared them with three other similar companies, there are dozens more where you could purchase your herbs. Mountain Rose goes yet another step by providing a few extras for customers. One of the many products they offer is seeds for the herbs they grow, at very reasonable prices. It’s reassuring to know that they’re more interested in spreading herbal craft than monopolizing the market. So, if you’re excited about the idea of creating your own medicinal herb garden, you may want to visit their home goods store.
Another bonus from Mountain Rose Herbs is their education YouTube channel with dozens of how-to videos on how to use herbs. You’ll discover how to make herbal tinctures, liniments, and poultices, as well as how to use essential oils. They’ve provided a great resource that isn’t all self-promotion.
What Consumers Say
Although the Better Business Bureau doesn't accredit mountain Rose Herbs, they enjoy an A+ rating from the independent agency.
Trustpilot has only garnered ten reviews for the company, with a rating of four out of five stars. Negative reviews seem to center on slow shipping or poor customer service, rather than product quality.
You can also purchase Mountain Rose Herbs products on Amazon, where consumers seem especially pleased with their skin care products. It’s worth noting, however, that the Mountain Rose products seem to be provided by several different resellers rather than the company itself. This often seems to results in much higher pricing for the same products on Amazon.
Is Mountain Rose Herbs as Great as It Seems?
It seems that Mountain Rose Herbs has done everything right to earn trust in the natural products industry. We first noticed the company back in 2003, and they’ve grown into a success in the past 15 years. With a comprehensive inventory of certified organic herbs at extremely reasonable prices, you can afford to test out new ones with the 1-ounce packages for just a few dollars.
Shipping may still be an issue, but keep in mind that herbs grow in their own time and so many factors, such as the weather, are utterly out of the company’s hands. And when it comes to herbal medicine, fresh products are so much more potent than something that’s been sitting on the shelf since last year. These factors may affect how quickly they can process orders.
We hope this overview has provided you with the information you need to decide if Mountain Rose Herbs is worthy of your business. We’ve also shared a few other sellers to compare with, and they too are worth a look. Star West has a particularly useful website that's chock full of information on growing and using herbs.
Whichever supplier you decide to use, enjoy your journey into herbal medicine and all its benefits. If you have a favorite supplier or grower, please feel free to give them a shout-out in the comments. This way, our readers can learn more about buying and using herbal products for their good health.
Featured Image via Amazon text, logo and banner added