The third largest doctoral-level medical profession, behind medical doctors and dentists, are chiropractors, and their popularity is increasing throughout the years.
Chiropractic care is a field of healthcare that treats disorders of the musculoskeletal system and the nervous system. Chiropractors treat a wide array of conditions, such as headaches, back pain, and neck pain. This drug-free method of treatment uses hands-on therapies to help relieve pain and improve overall health. Chiropractic care may be the answer you have been searching for to relieve your pain and get your life back. Here is everything you need to know.
What is a Chiropractic Adjustment
A chiropractic adjustment, also known as spinal manipulation, is when a chiropractor applies pressure to the spine to move the vertebrae into proper alignment. The goal of chiropractic care is to reduce subluxation, increase the range of motion, reduce nerve irritability, and improve function. The chiropractor will apply pressure to the spine (often with high velocity), resulting in a popping sound when gas is released from the joint. This video explains what you should expect during your first visit to a chiropractor.
Benefits of Advanced Chiropractic Care
Whether you are suffering from migraines or an injury to your lower back, advanced chiropractic care has been shown to have a number of benefits in addition to simply relieving pain. Some of these benefits may actually surprise you.
- Relieve Stress – Chiropractic care relieves tension throughout the body and relaxes stiff muscles. In turn, this relieves stress.
- Improve Posture – Chiropractic adjustments align the tilts and curves of the spine. Over time, this improves posture, which is important for those of us who spend our days hunched over a computer screen.
- Improve Your Mood – The goal of chiropractic adjustments is to balance the body. Spinal manipulations also treat chemical imbalances. Many patients dealing with conditions such as depression and ADHD have seen improvements in their symptoms as a result of long-term chiropractic care.
- Improve Your Immune System – Advanced chiropractic care improves the function of the nervous system. Spinal adjustments have a positive impact on the body’s ability to fight off illnesses because the immune system is regulated by the nervous system.
- Improve Your Sleep – Pain and stress are causes of sleep disturbances, which are extremely common today. Chiropractic care can help improve sleep quality by reducing both pain and stress.
Risks of Chiropractic Care
Although chiropractic care is very safe and complications are rare, just like with any other medical procedure, there are risks involved. The spinal manipulations used in chiropractic care involve using a great deal of velocity and pressure to forcefully adjust the joints of the spine. The risks associated with chiropractic adjustments are exceedingly rare. However, they are indeed serious. Complications of spinal adjustments can include the following:
- A herniated disk or the worsening of a pre-existing disk herniation
- Compression of nerves in the lower spinal column, a condition called cauda equina syndrome
- A certain type of stroke or a vertebral artery dissection following a neck manipulation
Chiropractic care is contraindicated if you have any of the following conditions:
- Severe osteoporosis
- Numbness, tingling or loss of strength in an arm or leg
- Cancer of the spine
- An increased risk of stroke
- Hypermobility or excessive motion in the spine (instability)
Naprapathy vs. Chiropractic
Whereas chiropractic care focuses on aligning the joints of the spine, naprapathy seeks to heal the soft tissues surrounding the spine and other joints throughout the body. Naprapathy gently stretches the soft tissues and releases them. This improves the lymphatic system and blood circulation, thereby promoting healing. Naprapathy can be a good choice for those who prefer a natural treatment that is more gentle than chiropractic care and therefore involves fewer risks.
Where Can I Find a Chiropractor Near Me
Finding a chiropractor in your area should not be difficult. Begin by asking your primary care physician or physical therapists if they have any recommendations. You can also run a Google search to find advanced chiropractic care local to you. The American Chiropractic Association provides a listing of accredited chiropractors that you can search by location.
Many insurance plans cover both naprapathy and chiropractic care. Medicaid, the U.S. Departments of Veterans Affairs and Defense, Federal Employees Health Benefits Program, Federal Workers’ Compensation, and all state workers’ compensation programs also cover chiropractic care. Generally, you do not need a referral to see a chiropractor.
Where can I Find Naprapathists Near Me
If you don’t seek treatment, you can end up with bigger issues like TMJ, chronic migraine, and other ailments that can cause a slew of problems in the long run if you don’t get get the proper treatment. If you’ve never heard of Naprapthic therapy but wish to give it a try, you can find a doctor near you that can treat you when it comes to healing your soft tissue.
Chiropractic Care as a Treatment Option for You
If you want to heal your body, improve your function, and relieve your pain without dangerous drugs, a chiropractor can help. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), opiates are responsible for some 15,000 deaths every year in America. Chiropractors can offer their patients a drug-free option to ease their pain.
If you are suffering from pain associated with neuromusculoskeletal conditions, chiropractic care may be the answer you have been searching for.